Saturday 8 June 2013

Dreams, ambitions and little things.

I had two of my closest friends round for dinner one evening before I came home for the summer. It was a brilliant opportunity to catch up and possibly one of my favourite evenings of this year. We were just girls, discussing hopes, dreams, the big things, the little things and everything in between. And somehow we got onto the topic of our dreams for the future. I was talking about a writing competition and debating about whether or not I should enter it, and my friend asked "If you could do anything in the whole world, would you write?" I looked at her and thought about it for a minute. If  I didn't have to get a "real job" I would write. I would have a study with a beautiful view and a sleek beautiful machine to write on (alongside the obligatory writer's notebook and a beautiful Parker pen). I would write about the things that I know, the things I love, the things I hate and everything in between. If I could do anything with my life it would be that. I would use my writing to encourage others, to tell them things which aren't necessarily talked about over the dinner table. I want to paint vivid pictures with my words and create entire universes with a million different combinations of 26 letters.

Writing is freedom; the freedom to escape, the freedom to become immersed in a whole other world, the freedom to become someone different and the freedom to express what you can't necessarily say aloud. Writing gives you a voice. Writing is a power which I am in awe of. It allows you to do so many different things and become so many different people. It speaks so loudly and eloquently of what the heart feels, yet without the nervous stammers and stutters, and stumbling over words that seem to occur so frequently in speech. It builds and it destroys. It hurts and it heals. Writing is incredible. And if you love it, if you nurture it you will discover its power.

But this is where I paused to think. Ever since that evening I have been challenged. Why can't I just write? Why can't I chase the thing I am most passionate about? What is stopping me?

If you love something. Chase it. Go after it. Don't spend life regretting those chances you never took and those dreams you let die because the fear of falling prevented you from trying. How do you know what it's like to fly if you don't take the leap?

No comments:

Post a Comment