Tuesday 4 June 2013

Courage: Find Your Voice

Life is scary. Life is a rollercoaster of emotions, ups and downs and twists and turns, and it's the wildest ride we'll ever take. And whilst there are plenty of beautiful moments and a few of real ecstasy, often, in order to get to that point, we have to experience moments of gut wrenching fear. Sometimes, that fear isn't even in the big things, it can be in the tiny things too. But strangely enough, in those moments of fear, in those moments where the million what ifs course through your mind, sometimes those are where we find our greatest courage. In those moments, we can find the ability to speak out and to be heard.

A number of people have told me over the years that I am brave. Honestly, it isn't the first characteristic that comes to my head when I go to describe my personality. On reflection, maybe, just maybe, those people are right. Despite the fact that I am scared of a lot of things (both superficial and deeper rooted fears) sometimes I can summon up that little bit of courage. And at the time I don't necessarily feel brave (in fact I mostly felt stupid) but I would feel like what I have done is right. And that bravery has taught me a lot; and though it hasn't always yielded results, it has strengthened me. That's what courage does. It builds strength. Courage is associated with strong people. And they aren't courageous because they're strong, but they have been made strong because they have been courageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment